Saturday, October 20, 2012

The story

The day that the hubs came home and told me that he had landed a phone interview with his dream job, we were all ecstatic. But wait, it's about 60 miles from home. The wonder of would they hire him living so far away was killing us. We weren't prepared to move. Heck, we didn't even want to move, especially not 60 miles away from my family. It was just a wait and see deal at this point. We were excited but scared too, me more so, okay a lot more than him. So, the phone interview comes and he nails it. They immediately scheduled an appointment for him to come in to interview with the rest of the department. Of course my first question was "What did they say about relocation?" and he says that the interviewer said he didn't think it would be a problem. Whew! Relief! Obviously that isn't how it worked out, but I will get to that later. So, we rush out and buy the hubs a new suit and he's looking almost as sharp as Ryan Gosling.
He's armed with everything he has to offer going into the interview. A few blubbering I-haven't-had-to-interview-in-10-years conversations mixed in with a super impressive resume and mad skills to boot later, his interview is over. He didn't feel great about the interview. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. We were excited, then scared, then excited and eager, then disappointed. Then we get the offer letter in the mail. The first page, the whole offer part, we were giddy! What they offered was a once in a lifetime chance. We knew he had to take the job. Then we turned the page... doom-doom-doom! The relocation package.
WHAT? I thought it wasn't a big deal. Talk about a punch in the gut! Don't get me wrong, it was a very generous relocation package, but still, it was a relocation package. Lots of tears, not the teardrop rolling down your cheek kind of tears like this.
I'm talking big ugly, runny nose, full out mama meltdown kind of tears.
I mean, my mom and I are like PB&J. We hung out almost every-single-day! I can't move away. I am on the PTSO at our son's school. I can't move away. We are active in the community. All of our friends are here. We can't move away. I know it seems like a super-size order of melodrama on Real Housewives of NJ but I was seriously struggling with this decision.
Over the weekend that we had to contemplate the offer, there were lots of tears, lots of silent treatment, lots of prayer and on Sunday, there was about a teaspoon of peace in an ocean of uncertainty. I had to tell myself over and over and over and over again that this would be a great opportunity for our family and our future. And it really was, but making my head and my heart agree on it just wasn't happening. In the end, I agreed that he should take the job even though I didn't really want him to. High five to me for being a responsible, level headed adult, sometimes! So, that is the story of why we had to move. Coming up next, the house hunt.
That was a doozie for sure. I mean, it's not everyday that you stumble upon a listing with this description... "3BR, 3BA, Bonus Room, Granite, Stainless Appliances, Stripper Pole & Large fenced lot" I mean really? Come on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment